February 20, 2013 by Mark Oliver Howes
It’s the middle of February.
How’d that happen?
With homesteading, even on a micro level like us, comes a lot of projects. They never seem to end. I’ll be honest, I love being busy. I work two jobs, plus the family, plus the blog, plus a little videography, plus the livestock, plus whatever whack-a-mole distraction I have, depending on the week keeps me rolling during most of my waking hours.
My intent was to build a coop for the soon-coming meat chickens by March. I am simply too busy for all of the design work that it will take to get it built. In addition, I don’t always have time to get the pallets, even though they are readily available.
So, I was perched on my machine at the dump and I saw an old cabinet/work bench being tossed off of the back of a truck. I climbed down to take a look because I could see something in the cabinet. What? I wasn’t sure. But it was speaking to me. Well, not really speaking. I knew that I was supposed to have it. So I tossed it on the back of Ol’ Blue and wrestled it to our proposed meat chicken run when I got home.
And then it occurred to me.
I’m going to use it for the meat coop. According to my stat counter, many of you are going to be disappointed. The term “pallet chicken coop” comes up all of the time as a search word. Don’t worry, pallets will still be involved.
I knocked out the center shelf. Whoever created wood glue needs a kick in the pants. In addition to nailing it into place, it had nice lines of glue that stuck like gorilla snot.
I also removed the doors. They were too flimsy to serve an actual purpose and I’m going for a look other than 1980′s crapwood.
I had a lot of leftover pallet planks hanging around. Instead of waiting for plywood to come in on the dump pile, I decided to use the planks as batten boards.
I didn’t do much measuring. I just held the boards up beside the coop and sawed them with my camp saw. Pallets are so dry that they are easily sawn.
I want this coop to be somewhat drafty. We will only use it in the summer for meat chickens. Having natural ventilation is a good thing.
I punched a hole in the side with my knife. After I made the hole, I got my camp saw in there and sawed out a ventilation hole.
I added more boards to continue the look and strengthen the wall.
Ventilation duct open.
I added two roosts that were offset from each other. I hope they work. Space is tighter than I thought it would be.
That’s all for today. I’ll be adding part two as I get time.
On a side note, I recently began writing for www.modernhomesteaders.net. The articles that I do there are slightly different in content. I’d love for you to go over and check out the site. If you like the site, like them on Facebook.
Pax Domini Sit Semper Vobiscum,
Mike Oscar Hotel